Kevin Shulz has a broken hand. And he's not scared to elaborate on his scariest moments in the ocean. He is also generous. He wanted to give away one of his Dominator II's on this episode, so we said yes. Listen for more. Find show notes at firewiresurfboards.com/the-wire.
Timmy Reyes says that Huntington Beach is a wind factory and that all the wind in California comes from there, and from Oxnard too.
We're not sure if that's true.
But we believe him when he says it's good to be back in the water, riding a Dominator II, a shape that he describes as 'smoother' than his previous favorite shape from Dan Mann, the Spitfire.
As discused in this episode, the Dominator was a round tailed all-round shortboard by Dan Mann that came out in 2008.
The all new and updated Dominator II is a shape that Timmy describes as 'better in transitions' than the previous Dominator and the Spitfire as well.
This episode of The Wire Podcast covers much more than just the Dominator II, such as:
- Why Timmy wears a collard shirt every Monday, and what its like to not have a 'real job'.
- The fin system that Timmy says feels the loosest, and the fin system that Timmy says feels the most drivey.
- The reason that Timmy usually doesn't surf on foggy days.
- Why Timmy may 'un-retire' from competition this coming year in Santa Cruz.
- The Huntington Beach resident who surfs Huntington Beach Pier more than anyone (Hint: it's not Timmy)
- The way that Huntington Beach 'makes wind' like a factory.
...and much more.
Dan Mann is a core board builder who describes the merits of Sandwich Construction in Surfboard Design as a 'lego blocks' process where different materials can be swapped in and out for desired strength, weight and flex.
The key benefit to Sandwich Construction as he describes it is the ability to "make a really light surfboard that is also really strong".
It's an innovation that Firewire was built on and a part of the brands core DNA today.
Dan's new shape, the Dominator II landed at surf shops around the world last week, and Dan shares much in this episode about the design and build process, as well as what its been like to surf with California Aerialist Kevin Shultz on the Dominator II.